Every year, plastic is gaining more and more popularity, replacing more expensive metal elements. Drainage systems are no exception, designed to ensure effective drainage of rainwater from the roof and protect the facades of the house from its ingress. Let's consider what are the advantages of plastic roof gutters: prices, characteristics and features of some models.
- 1 Plastic roof gutters: basic equipment
- 2 Benefits of using plastic drainage systems
- 3 How to make a drain: self-calculation of the required number of elements
- 4 Plastic roof gutters: prices for products from various manufacturers
- 5 The general procedure for installing gutters on the roof with your own hands
- 6 Plastic roof gutters: DIY installation step by step
- 7 How to organize heating of gutters and gutters, and why is it needed
Plastic roof gutters: basic equipment
Drainage systems, regardless of the material of manufacture, consist of the same elements. There are gutters on the roof, which are fastened with special connectors and brackets. In addition, for the full functioning and attractive appearance of the system, internal corners and plugs are used.
A little lower is a funnel, which serves to direct water down the pipes. The drainpipes are fastened with brackets and clamps. There is always a drain elbow at the very bottom.
A separate element is considered to be a special mesh, which is inserted into the funnel and does not prevent large objects and debris from entering the pipe. It goes without saying that the presence of such a protective mesh implies the obligatory periodic cleaning (at least 2 times a year) in order to eliminate blockages and prevent water overflow.
Important! In order to avoid unpleasant situations associated with the overflow of rainwater, it is necessary to periodically inspect the entire system for damage, so that, if detected, immediately replace or repair it.
Benefits of using plastic drainage systems
Plastic gutters have their own characteristic features that distinguish them from metal ones and make them preferable to use. The following positive aspects are highlighted:
- sound insulation of plastic gutters is noticeably higher than that of metal ones and reaches 27 dB;
- plastic pipes are not subject to corrosion and do not lend themselves to chemical elements;
- the low weight of the material can significantly reduce the load on the building and directly on the roof;
- any faulty element can be easily replaced. In addition, installing a plastic roof gutter with your own hands does not present any difficulties even for a beginner;
- the plastic that is used for the production of this system is able to withstand temperature drops from -40 ° C to 50 ° C;
- a plastic drainage system will cost at least 2 times less than a metal one.
You can solve all the problems associated with the selection, purchase and installation of a plastic drainage system on your own, without resorting to the help of professionals. However, in this case, it is worth paying attention to such aspects as the selection of a suitable color shade, the diameter of the gutters and pipes, as well as the calculation of the required amount of materials.
And if the subtleties of the calculations are worth considering in more detail, then the following can be said about color solutions: white and brown systems are in greatest demand. Here you can use one of two solutions: choose pipes to match the roof or, on the contrary, give preference to a contrasting color.
Features of plastic drainage systems
This is not to say that plastic is the most reliable among materials, but it resists the effects of any chemical compounds better than others. In the absence of protective coatings, the material is not subject to corrosion. Thanks to this quality, this material can be used for many years.
Color processing of the material is carried out evenly at a depth of 3-5 mm, which avoids fading and wiping off the paint. If you buy a plastic gutter, then you can forget about such procedures as partial touch-up or filling of individual areas.
How to make a drain: self-calculation of the required number of elements
Whatever the shape of the roof, the installation of the drainage system must be done in any case. And since all the component parts will have to be purchased separately, it is first necessary to make measurements and calculations that will help to purchase the required amount of materials and avoid unnecessary expenses.
First of all, you will need to measure the width and length of the slopes, as well as the height of the house, taking into account the size of the eaves. Using the first two indicators, you can calculate the area of the house. Of course, a lot depends on the architectural features of the roof and the complexity of its construction. In some cases, it is necessary to make additional measurements of individual parts of the roof.
In the process of calculations, the number of components is required, the following recommendations must be taken into account:
- the spacing between the gutter holders should be 50-70 cm. For example, if the length of the cornice is 10 m, then there should be 20 holders. For large gutters, it is preferable to observe the minimum step, and 70 cm is permissible only in a small area;
- the standard length of one gutter is 3 m. Having determined the total length of the eaves of the whole house, it is necessary to purchase the elements in the required quantity. At the same stage, you need to determine how many stubs you need. For a simple gable roof, 4 pieces are enough, while more complex and multifaceted structures require individual calculations;
- it is equally important to calculate the required number of drainage funnels. In this case, the calculation is made from the indicator 1 piece. by 10 m. But this is only relevant if the total area of the slope does not exceed 50 m²;
- in order to calculate the required length of pipes, which are located vertically on the walls of the house, you need to know the height of the building. The pipes used for these purposes come in lengths of 1, 2, or 3 m. In addition, you will need to bypass the eaves. To do this, use one or two downspout bends. If this is not enough, then a pipe can be additionally inserted between the two elbows;
- the final stage of calculations - fasteners. Here the scheme is as simple as possible - 1 bracket per 1 m. The number of drain elbows is also very simple to determine: there will be as many of them as there are funnels.
Helpful advice! If you plan to collect rainwater in a container, then there is no need to install a drain elbow. It is enough to leave the pipe at the required level and substitute the existing reservoir.
Plastic roof gutters: prices for products from various manufacturers
On the modern market, you can find many different proposals, despite the fact that this attribute for the arrangement of a country house appeared in our country quite recently. And since it should be admitted that there are few people who have heard of gutter manufacturers, we will consider the most popular of them, taking into account the characteristics of their plastic gutters, customer reviews and the price category to which they are located.
Deke gutters: German quality at affordable prices
Docke gutters are standard products. At an affordable cost, the quality of the materials used will delight even demanding users. Of course, it is difficult to provide the cost of at least one ready-made kit, since it all depends on the size of the house, the step and the number of fasteners used. However, it is quite possible to consider the prices of individual elements of Docke plastic gutters:
- a three-meter gutter with a diameter of 120.65 mm will cost about 317 rubles;
- a drainpipe of the same length will cost 384 rubles;
- the cost of one funnel is 215 rubles.
As you can see, these are economy class goods available for purchase to everyone. There are practically no complaints or significant criticism among customer reviews. The Alta Profile gutters belong to the same price category.
Plastic gutters Technonikol: a large selection of high quality gutters
Plastic gutters from the French manufacturer Nicoll are middle-class products, which are characterized by an attractive appearance and a fairly high quality of each component. But such purchases are no longer available to everyone, since the cost, for example, of a 4 m long gutter will be about 920 rubles, and one funnel will cost 850 rubles.
At the same time, the choice of models is very large, so there is an opportunity to choose the right option for any home, regardless of the design style and materials used.
Exquisite and expensive Marley gutters
It is impossible not to mention the classic gutters made by Marley. This is an excellent option for those who strive for original design solutions and at the same time are ready to pay a considerable price for an element such as a drain.
Of course, it doesn't make any sense to buy plastic roof gutters, the price of which is so high, if the design of the house is quite simple. In this case, the usual models will be quite enough, which will not be inferior to Marley in quality, but will cost much less.
Important! The price of a heating cable for roofs and gutters, the importance of the installation of which will be discussed later, may also differ depending on the manufacturer.
The general procedure for installing gutters on the roof with your own hands
Having made the calculations and purchasing all the necessary elements, you can proceed with the installation of the system.Let's consider the general procedure for carrying out work in order to understand what their sequence should be.
First of all, the brackets are attached, which will hold the gutters. They can be fixed both on the eaves board itself, and directly on the rafter system. Then a gutter is placed behind these brackets, located at the required slope. It is very important to carry out the fastening correctly and to make sure that the joints of the elements are reliable.
After that, you need to place the funnels in those places that are reserved for them. It remains only to assemble the elements of the system, fastening them together: the drain elbow is threaded into the funnel and into the pipe, which is attached to the wall. The final stage is the installation of a drain elbow at the bottom of the system.
Helpful advice! If you purchase a ready-made kit from the manufacturer, then it may be accompanied by instructions with recommendations for installation and maintenance. Moreover, the products of well-known companies come with a warranty, which is usually at least one year and makes it possible to contact the service center in the event of a malfunction.
Plastic roof gutters: DIY installation step by step
The cost of installing a gutter can be an unpleasant surprise for a thrifty buyer who seeks to spend as little money as possible. Of course, if you have purchased an expensive system, then you should not take the risk and try to do everything yourself. But even a beginner can try himself on simple and affordable systems.
The installation of the plastic gutter should begin at the stage of erecting the roof lathing, when it is possible to attach the brackets to the rafters. Although sometimes, as a last resort, it is allowed to fasten metal elements to the wall (concrete or brick).
Helpful advice! In order to maintain the optimal level of slope of the gutter, you can take measurements only for the extreme elements and then pull a cord between them, which will serve as a guide for attaching the remaining elements.
The second stage is the fastening of funnels and gutters. To do this, you need to fold the required number of elements on the ground in a row, without joining them together. You can shorten one of the gutters using a metal hacksaw if necessary. After that, you need to do the following:
- in those places where the funnel will be installed, use a hacksaw for metal to cut holes of a suitable size;
Design features, advantages and disadvantages of products from various materials. Selection and correct installation of storm water inlets.
- using glue-sealant, plugs are glued to the edges of the gutter, as well as funnels to the holes;
- the grooves are fixed to the bracket using external grooves;
- in order to dock the elements together, glue-sealant is also used. They do this directly during the installation process;
- immediately after this, protective nets are installed, which prevent clogging of the system;
- all that remains is to install the pipes by attaching them with clamps.
On the Internet, you can find many ideas and instructions on how to make a drain from sewer pipes with your own hands. Undoubtedly, this option also has a right to exist, however, given the fact that today it is quite possible to find affordable drainage systems, such a solution to the problem can be called unjustified. Moreover, the drain from the sewer pipes, most likely, will require more attention in the care and more often clog.
In addition, it is worth paying attention to how to install the gutters if the roof is already covered. In the absence of proper experience, it will be wiser to immediately seek help from a professional, since in this case there is a risk of making the fasteners insufficiently reliable or damaging the outer coating.
How to organize heating of gutters and gutters, and why is it needed
Roof and gutter heating is used to reduce the load that snow can put on a building. In addition, it avoids the appearance of icicles and ice in gutters and pipes during periods when the air temperature fluctuates.
A special heating cable for gutters is used as a heating element, which generates heat and melts snow and ice, allowing the gutter system to remove them without having a destructive effect on the walls or foundations.
Such de-icing systems (heating the roof and gutters) are not cheap, but the owners claim that it is worth it. Some people decide on their own to reduce labor costs by laying the cable only on the roof surface. In fact, this is not enough, and if snow and ice become the cause of clogging of the gutters, then the melt water will have nowhere to drain, which can cause overflows and system breakdown.
Important! Self-installation of a roof and gutter heating system is a rather risky undertaking. If a mistake is made, it can lead to a short circuit. Therefore, for such work, it is recommended to contact a specialist.
It is very difficult to unequivocally answer the question about the price of a plastic drain without taking into account the area of the house and its design features, as well as the manufacturer's company whose products are purchased. The best thing is to initially carry out all the measurements and calculations, and then, having familiarized yourself with the maximum number of proposals, buy a plastic drain, the price and quality of which will meet your requirements.