Experienced growers know that there is lawn grass that kills weeds. She is an excellent helper in the fight against weeds in her backyard. In addition, lawns serve as an excellent decorative decoration for any landscape, including private suburban areas.
Lawn grass that kills weeds
Weeds are the most powerful plants that can survive in any, even the most extreme conditions. No one can get rid of them once and for all. However, there are methods, using which, you can greatly simplify the fight. One such method is the cultivation of lawn grass, which kills weeds. You won't be able to get rid of them completely, but with proper care you can reduce their number to a minimum.
Lawn grass is a mixture of perennial herbaceous plants that form a continuous grass cover. Lawns can be used for various purposes: sports, decorative and shade-tolerant. All of them have their own herbs that have the necessary qualities. For sports lawns - resistance to trampling, for decorative - beauty, for shade-tolerant - resistance to lack of light.
There are several types of lawn grasses that kill weeds better than others:
- field bent leaves. This herb constantly requires watering and is afraid of the heat. At the same time, it perfectly kills weeds. She has good decorative properties;
- red fescue. This plant is frost resistant;
- meadow bluegrass is a plant that is not afraid of even frost. Its seeds can winter quietly on the surface of the earth;
- microclover is not susceptible to heat and drought. He does not need frequent watering and feeding. Where it is, the weeds are very uncomfortable.
Sowing a lawn alone will not solve the problem of weeds, so it is necessary to take a set of additional measures to achieve the goal:
- High-quality pre-sowing treatment of the soil by digging and applying herbicides will destroy most of the weeds.
- Fertilization in the autumn-spring period. In the spring - nitrogen, in the fall - potash and phosphorus.
- Periodic lawn mowing. Weeds do not like constant pruning and will die over time.
Helpful advice! Lawn grasses that destroy weeds require special attention in the first year after sowing. They need to be weeded out, mowed, watered thoroughly and fed. In the future, their root system will strengthen, and the herbs will not need such care. Gradually, the lawn will displace weeds.
If you decide to plant a lawn and come to the store for seeds, you will be surprised at the number of different types of mixtures. How to choose lawn grass for the greatest effect? When to sow lawn grass? The answer to these questions must be obtained before going to the store.
How to choose lawn grass
There are not many types of grass suitable for lawn formation. Unlike wild-growing grasses, lawns are softer, bush well and form a dense sod that does not allow weeds to break through. All lawn mixtures are composed of bluegrass, fescue and ryegrass. This is the base of the mixture, to which other types of herbs are sometimes added.
The properties of the lawn depend on the percentage of seeds. If bluegrass prevails, the lawn will be dark in color. A large amount of ryegrass gives good sod, which allows sowing it in trampled places of the lawn.
Before choosing a lawn grass, you need to carefully read the description that is on the packaging of any mixture. In this case, it is necessary to take into account not only the decorative component, but also the requirements for the soil, climatic conditions of the area, the illumination of the site, as well as the purpose of the lawn.
The information on the package of the grass mixture should contain the following information:
- Species composition of cereals.
- The year in which the seeds were produced.
- Seeding rate, that is, the amount of mixture per 1 m2 of area.
- Country and address of the manufacturer.
Even knowing how to choose lawn grass, you should definitely check the packaging itself. There should be no holes or breaks in it. The seeds themselves must have international and national certificates of product quality and have full adaptation to the climate of the region in which you live.
After the choice is made, you need to wait for the seeding time and start shaping the lawn. To do this, you need to familiarize yourself with how to plant lawn grass. It also has its own nuances and wisdom.
Helpful advice! When buying seeds not in a ready-made grass mixture, but separately, it is necessary to take into account all the properties of certain cereals. If two or three cereals are mixed, then you need to select seeds with the same shade and growth rate.
How to plant lawn grass
Before planting lawn grass, you need to prepare the planting area. To do this, it is marked out and cleaned of weed roots. Better to do this a couple of times with an interval of 2 weeks. After that, the marked area is leveled so that it is horizontal. If it is necessary to divide the territory into flower beds with rectilinear borders, then use twine with pegs, along which marking lines are drawn.
Landscaping a small area: ways to expand the space. Visual increase in area. Mirrors, ponds, curly bushes in design. Planting flowers.
Then they are treated with herbicides. When buying them, you should pay attention to what weeds they are against. Spring shoots of weeds are much better amenable to processing than autumn ones, since the latter are capable of shedding seeds that will still germinate in spring. In an area treated with herbicides, the grass will quickly turn yellow and die. After that, you need to collect it all and pull out small shrubs, if they are found. Processing is carried out at 2-week intervals.
Helpful advice! For the final disposal of weeds, it is recommended to cover the site with a geotextile cloth. This measure will not only kill the remaining roots of the weeds, but also prevent their seeds from germinating.
The second stage of work includes the preparation of the soil itself. For this you need:
- determine the chemical composition of the soil. Learn its moisture content and structural features. Chalk or lime is added to acidic soil. Heavy clay soil should be diluted with humus or vermicompost;
- apply mineral fertilizers according to the recommendations from the package of the grass mixture. It should be borne in mind that in the spring nitrogen compounds are introduced, which stimulate plant growth, and in the fall, potassium and phosphorus, which allows you to winter safely;
- loosen the fertilized soil, level it and make it moderately moist;
- after that, take a heavy, up to 100 kg, roller and carefully roll the entire area with it. If flaws are found, align them and additionally roll this place;
- after completion, you need to wait a week for the soil to shrink, and remove weeds that may still appear during this time.
The duration of the second stage is 1 week. Only then can you start planting lawn grass. how to do it correctly - it will be discussed further.
First, you need to mentally divide the entire area into several equal parts. Divide all seeds in equal amounts for each part. In this case, the flow rate will be uniform.
Secondly, the soil is watered from a hose with a shower head so that irregularities do not appear. This should be done only when it is dry.
Thirdly, seeds are scattered across the site in calm weather crosswise. This will ensure an even fit.
Fourthly, the soil is loosened with a rake and rolled with the same heavy roller so that the seeds are underground.
Fifth, the entire area is moderately watered from a hose with a nozzle, being careful not to damage the soil surface.
Helpful advice! Don't skimp on seeds. The bald spots on the lawn will very quickly overgrow with weeds and everything will have to be repeated again.
Another important question is when to sow lawn grass that destroys weeds? The answer to it requires a detailed description of the principles of plant vegetation. However, some general rules can be distinguished.
When to sow lawn grass
Sowing of any lawn is carried out during the growing season of plants, that is, from May to September. The best time is spring or autumn. The main thing is that the seedlings appear before the first frost. The full cycle from sowing to strengthening the seedlings is 4 - 6 weeks. From this and must proceed in order to be in time before the frost.
Knowing when to sow lawn grass and the basic techniques of agricultural technology, you can create a beautiful lawn on your site that will delight your eyes for a long time and save you from overgrowing with weeds.
How to sow lawn grass (video)