The sink is an integral part of the kitchen interior. In order to choose the most suitable sink for a particular kitchen, you need to pay attention to a number of factors, such as: spaciousness, resistance to mechanical stress (shock) and other moments. The sink for the kitchen should not only fit into the interior of the room, but also be functional and easy to clean.
- 1 What are the requirements for a kitchen sink?
- 2 Design features and dimensions of the kitchen sink
- 3 What materials are kitchen sinks made of?
- 4 Which sink to buy in the kitchen: tips for choosing
- 5 Methods for installing a kitchen sink
What are the requirements for a kitchen sink?
The selection of individual elements of the kitchen interior in any case raises a huge number of questions. For example, it is very important not to forget that in many homes the kitchen space is limited. Therefore, the sink should organically fit into the interior and be as functional as possible in the smallest area of space.
There are other requirements that a modern kitchen sink must meet.
Design. First of all, any sink should be matched to the already formed style of the kitchen. Compatibility with the interior of the kitchen is a very important point.
Helpful information! It is best to select a sink after a major renovation, when the interior of the room is already clearly defined. Photos of sinks in the kitchen, their colors and designs can be studied on the Internet.
Roominess. This parameter is one of the most important for a kitchen sink. Even if the kitchen is very modest in size, care must be taken to ensure that the sink has sufficient height. Then it will be possible to wash without problems not only plates and cups, but also rather bulky items (pots, jugs).
Wear resistance. The surface of the sink, which is located in the kitchen, must be resistant to external influences. A high-quality sink must withstand high temperatures, as well as be resistant to active chemical compounds that are part of detergents. Also, do not forget about mechanical influences (impacts, scratches).
The above factors allow us to give an answer to the common question "which sink to choose in the kitchen", but rather generalized.In addition to the bowl itself, it is necessary to decide on the auxiliary elements that will be required to connect it. Such devices include: siphon, water filter, food waste disposer, etc.
Design features and dimensions of the kitchen sink
The dimensions of the sink for the kitchen are selected depending on the dimensions of a particular room. For a small area of the "catering block" it is recommended to buy compact models of sinks. From a constructive point of view, all sinks are divided into the following types:
- with one bowl. These models are ideal for installation in confined spaces. They differ in affordable cost and are perfect for standard kitchen facilities in multi-storey buildings;
- with a double bowl. Models that have two bowls are recommended to be purchased only if the kitchen space allows it. As a rule, both bowls in such a sink are located on the same line. However, another option is also possible, when one bowl is at an angle to the other;
- one and a half sink. Such models differ in that they have two bowls, one of which (more) is used directly for washing dishes. A second, smaller bowl is most often used for washing vegetables and fruits. One-and-a-half sinks can be of two types: mortise and overhead. They are great if you cannot install two separate bowls;
- corner sink. It is mounted as a separate element of the corner kitchen unit. It includes one or two bowls, between which the workspace is located. The dimensions of the corner kitchen sink also allow it to be mounted in small spaces. During the installation of such a model, it is recommended to pay special attention to sealing the joints. A similar need is due to the fact that corner models are mounted (most often) at the junction of two tabletops;
- model with a wing. The number of wings in such models can be different (1 or 2). The wing is a workspace that is an extension of the tabletop.
In addition to the length and width of the sink, its depth is a very important geometric indicator. It affects the capacity of the sink, which in turn affects the functionality and usability of this kitchen element.
Useful advice! For standard kitchens in high-rise buildings, experts advise purchasing sinks that have a depth of 15 to 18 cm.
It is not recommended to buy models that have a bowl that is too deep, since washing dishes in such sinks is not very convenient. When choosing a sink, you also need to pay attention to its shape. Today you can find the following varieties of these kitchen elements:
- complex (multifaceted).
So which sink is the best for the kitchen? Sinks that are rectangular or square are the most popular. This is due to the fact that they are perfectly combined with kitchen furniture and are a fairly compact solution, suitable for standard and small kitchens. Round models have one significant advantage - the largest capacity.
What materials are kitchen sinks made of?
Kitchen sinks can be made from different materials. Its choice is carried out depending on the interior of the kitchen. So, sinks made of natural or artificial stone are most suitable for kitchens in the design of which the classic concept prevails.Modern design solutions (for example, high-tech) imply the use of cold shades, so in such cases it is best to use stainless steel sinks.
Stainless steel kitchen sink
Today stainless steel sinks are the most popular models. They can be single or double.
Sizes of stainless steel sinks for kitchens can be very different, as well as their shapes. Quality stainless models include elements such as nickel and chrome, which make them resistant to aggressive corrosive effects.
Depending on the type of surface, there are two types of stainless sinks: glossy and matte. If you wish, you can order a model on which a textured drawing will be applied.
- the democratic cost of metal models largely influenced their high popularity. The cost for such sinks is much lower than for analogues made of artificial stone or ceramics. Therefore, it is quite possible to buy a sink for the kitchen inexpensively, if there are no preferences regarding the material;
- a versatile look that suits almost any interior;
- resistance to mechanical stress, active chemicals and high temperatures;
- ease of cleaning;
- long service life.
- the need to organize grounding;
- noise generated during the dishwashing process;
- on the surface of such a sink, dried water drops are clearly visible.
Note! The level of noise generated when using a sink directly depends on the thickness of its walls. To eliminate unpleasant sound, you can purchase and install a special element - a sound absorber.
Among budget products of this type, there are often low-quality samples that will not last long. There is a simple method that allows you to determine the quality of a sink made of stainless steel: you need to run a magnet over its surface. The smooth sliding of the magnetic element indicates the high quality of the kitchen sink.
Advantages and disadvantages of stainless steel kitchen sinks. Material properties. Production technology. Installation method. Construction and accessories.
It is also worth remembering that stainless models often come complete with a cabinet (cabinet), which will need to be matched in color to the main furniture. Sink cabinets in the kitchen are made of chipboard or solid wood. The second option will last longer.
Artificial and natural stone
Kitchen sinks made of artificial stone are more expensive than stainless counterparts. Products from this material have a wide range of surface patterns and are considered an excellent option for a modern style of kitchen interior. Such models of sinks are made from stone chips and resins, which act as a binding element. A variety of colors and patterns is achieved through coloring pigments.
Models made of natural stone are in a higher price segment and are suitable for installation in luxury kitchens. They look great when paired with granite or marble countertops.
- washing of dirty dishes in such sinks is performed silently;
- models made of artificial and natural stone are a real decoration of the kitchen interior;
- ease of maintenance is achieved due to the smooth surface of such sinks;
- dried water droplets are invisible on the surface;
- expensive models can withstand high temperatures (up to 280 ° C), and cheaper counterparts - up to 150 ° C;
- variety of shapes and colors;
- are distinguished by hygiene and high environmental friendliness, since they are 80% made of natural or artificial granite chips;
- scratches that arise during the operation of an artificial stone product (without a protective coating) can be eliminated. To do this, sand the damaged area.
- rather high cost;
- installation complexity due to high weight;
- the surface is cleaned only with mild detergents.
Any coloring agent can leave a mark on such sinks, so it is recommended to immediately remove tea or coffee stains from the surface.
Pottery or porcelain
Sinks made from ceramic or porcelain are great for kitchens that are designed in the following styles:
Useful advice! Colored models of ceramic (and not only) sinks are recommended to be mounted in such a way that they are exposed to direct sunlight. This will make their color appear more saturated.
- have a low noise level during use;
- are resistant to scratches;
- are made from environmentally friendly materials and are hygienic;
- resistant to small temperature changes;
- able to withstand the effects of active chemical compounds, as well as dyes;
- ceramic and porcelain models have a long service life;
- do not change color over time.
- high cost (but lower than that of analogues made of artificial stone);
- limited range of colors. Glossy models, for example, are produced only in black or white;
- low impact resistance, which often leads to shell fracture;
- surface cleaning is carried out using only mild cleaning agents.
The weight of the ceramic models is quite high. In order to protect the sink from damage during operation, it is recommended to install it on a special cabinet. The choice of a cabinet under the sink in the kitchen is made depending on the interior of the kitchen and the size of the niche allotted for it. Installing a cabinet with a kitchen sink is a complex process, for which it is best to call a specialist with the necessary knowledge and skills.
Enamelled kitchen sinks
Enamelled products are easy to clean, but their coating has low wear resistance and wears off over time. Also, the enamel layer can break off from mechanical stress.
- small mass;
- a wide range of colors;
- the installation of an enamel sink can be performed even by a person who does not have special knowledge in this area.
The disadvantages of such a sink are a high level of noise during use and electrical conductivity.
Which sink to buy in the kitchen: tips for choosing
The selection of the number of bowls, shapes and dimensions, as well as the material - these are the main conditions that allow you to purchase the necessary sink for the kitchen. However, there are other nuances that you need to pay attention to when choosing this kitchen element, namely:
- selection of a mixer that is suitable for a specific kitchen sink;
- the choice of a siphon for a sink in the kitchen. When choosing a siphon, you must remember that this device differs in the number of connections. For example, for a double sink, models are mounted that have two drains.An algorithm of actions describing how to install a sink siphon in the kitchen can be easily found on the Internet;
- it is desirable that the spout of the tap matches the depth of the bowl. Taps for kitchen sinks can be of two types, depending on the installation option: wall-mounted and built directly into the sink. Most often, the mixer is built into the sink and is located at an angle of 45 ° to the bowl, which is considered a low position. The spout of the tap should be positioned so that there is no problem when washing large pots. For a bowl depth of 12 to 16 cm, it is recommended to purchase a mixer with a high spout in the shape of the letter "L" (rounded). If the depth of the sink is 16 cm or more, then you can buy a mixer with a higher spout;
- there are additional devices that are mounted on sinks for different purposes. For example, a waste shredder that is used to process food waste that has entered the drain. It prevents the sink from clogging. Also popular are such auxiliary elements as: cutlery shelves, built-in pallets.
Note! The width of any kitchen sink varies from 40 to 100 cm.
Which sink to choose: single or double?
Shells that require only one section can have different shapes. Single-section models are suitable for small kitchens that require careful saving of usable space. If the hostess is used to storing dirty dishes in the sink bowl, it is better to think about purchasing a two-section model. Then it will be possible to put unwashed dishes in one of the sections, and use the second bowl to wash it.
Dual models are rightfully considered multifunctional. There are also one and a half variants of sinks, which can also be classified as universal.
Today, manufacturers equip single and double sinks with an additional wing, which serves as a stand for wet plates and other dishes. The wing of the two-piece washbasin models is twice as large as the analogous addition to the single sink. Therefore, it is recommended to think carefully before purchasing a dual model and perform the necessary calculations.
Dual models are perfect if your daily kitchen work involves washing a lot of dishes and preparing a large amount of food. Thus, in one bowl, you can directly wash the dishes, and in the other, rinse. Another convenience of the two-section model is the ability to rinse your hands in the second bowl while the first is busy with dirty dishes. Such little things seem insignificant, but they can greatly simplify the life of any housewife.
Methods for installing a kitchen sink
Depending on the installation option, there are 4 main types of sinks:
- under-table integrated.
The installation method also depends on the type of kitchen. What sinks are chosen for standard kitchens in typical high-rise buildings and small country houses? For kitchens with a small area, overhead or recessed models are best suited. Overhead sinks are mounted on top of a special cabinet.
The sizes of such a bedside table under the sink in the kitchen can be different, however, most often products of standard width and depth are on sale. This type of kitchen sink installation is most suitable for small kitchens. Of the disadvantages of this type of sink, one can single out the fact that water often penetrates into the cracks between the cabinet and the countertop. But it doesn't matter if the sink will stand separately from other furniture.
Useful advice! If you want to buy an inexpensive sink for your kitchen, then it is recommended to choose between an overhead or a mortise model.
You can also purchase a sink that is already built-in (embedded) into the cabinet. It is even cheaper to buy kitchen sinks with a cabinet in a set than in the case of separate purchase of these kitchen elements.
Flush sink models are mounted directly into the worktop. This installation method is the most common today. Cut-in samples can also be made from different materials, however, the most common are steel.
Integrated sinks are difficult to install, which requires the use milling equipment... For the installation of such models of sinks, in any case, you will need to invite a master. Another disadvantage of this method is that it requires large financial costs. The main advantage of the integrated washbasin is its reliability.
Integrated undercounters are mounted below the line that corresponds to the countertop surface. The main advantage of such sinks is considered to be ease of use, since they do not need careful maintenance.
The choice of sink for the kitchen depends on many factors. There is no one size fits all model. The size of the room, its style and the layout of all kitchen furniture and appliances in general should be taken into account. And even if your kitchen is unimaginably original and completely unusual, the modern market will be able to offer you a lot of options for your unique project.