If the style of the house is not a loft, then most likely the cables and pipes are planned to be hidden in the wall, that is, bricked up. It is simple and difficult to accomplish at the same time. It is difficult if you have no idea how to do it. Simply, if there is an appropriate and high quality tool available - a concrete wall chaser. With its help, it will be possible to make grooves, the so-called grooves, of the required depth and width in material of any density. And the beauty of the interior is guaranteed.
- 1 What is a wall chaser: design and principle of operation
- 2 Concrete wall chaser: model difference in power
- 2.1 Grooving machine Makita: the main characteristics of the tool
- 2.2 A worthy domestic alternative: the Interskol concrete wall chaser
- 2.3 Bulgarian furrower Sparky FK-6526: operational features of the tool
- 2.4 Reasonable price and high quality level: Bosch wall chaser
- 2.5 Hilty wall chaser: tool characteristics, reviews
- 3 Making a wall chaser with your own hands from a grinder
- 4 Discs for a concrete chaser: types, sizes, application
- 5 Design features and scope of manual wall chasers
- 6 Hire of wall chasers as an opportunity to save money without compromising quality
- 7 Rating of wall chasers for concrete, prices of the best models
What is a wall chaser: design and principle of operation
Many communications during construction or repair work are laid in the wall. More often this method is used to give aesthetics to the room. To close cables or pipes, you need recesses in the wall - technical grooves. It is to make grooves in concrete, brick, stone and other dense surfaces that a chasing cutter is used.
Outwardly, it resembles a Bulgarian. The main difference is that the chaser has two parallel cutting discs. The principle of operation of the mechanism is simple: passing along the surface marking, the discs make two grooves, the material between them is removed using a perforator, a groove is formed.
The video “How the Concrete Wall Chaser Works” will give you a better idea of how the tool works.
The cutting elements of the device are covered with a protective cover made of durable metal. It provides safety when working with a power tool and partially controls the spread of dust throughout the room.
The wall chaser has a platform, the rollers help to move it. Almost all models are equipped with a vacuum cleaner connection to collect particles generated during cutting. The handles have rubberized pads, which contribute to a more firm grip of the mechanism with your hands, and also dampen vibration to some extent. Wall chasers work from a 220 W power supply, for which the tool is equipped with a cable.
Concrete wall chaser: model difference in power
One of the important technical indicators of wall chasers is power. The speed of rotation of the disks depends on it. Taking this criterion into account, their sizes are selected, and, consequently, the parameters of the groove. It is on the basis of the power indicator that this tool is divided into the following categories:
- Household wall chaser. It is used at home for cutting a small number of strobes. The power of such models is 900-1300 watts.
- Semi-professional. It is used more often in private construction. Has a power rating of 1400-2000 watts.
- Professional. The price of wall chasers for concrete of this class is high; the tool is used on an industrial scale. The power reaches 2 kW.
Useful advice! Choosing a wall chaser should be based on the planned scope of work and frequency of use.
Manufacturers complement the tool with various functions and elements for efficient and safe operation. So, almost every wall chaser has:
- indicator of the direction of movement of the spindle on the protective casing;
- blocking accidental starting of the engine. This can be a button or checkbox that prevents unplanned launches;
- engine overheating protection;
- shock absorbers to reduce vibration;
- disc depth regulator. Allows you to make a strobe of the required size;
- dust collector. They produce models of wall chasers for concrete with a vacuum cleaner. Most of them have a branch pipe to which the vacuum cleaner can be connected.
The dust collector makes the tool more comfortable to use. It is not necessary to adapt any other device, to adjust it to the dimensions of the branch pipe.
Grooving machine Makita: the main characteristics of the tool
Makita is a Japanese brand. The main products manufactured are power tools and garden tools. Taking into account market trends is one of the basic rules of the company. That is why it occupies a leading position in many positions. Makita power tools are known to every professional. They are also gladly purchased for home use.
The most popular is the Makita SG-180 wall chaser. The tool has a good assembly, has a power of 1800 W, which makes it possible to use it not only for short-term work, but also for long-term construction and repair tasks.
Reliable sealing and sealed buttons eliminate the possibility of dust penetration into the mechanisms, which significantly prolongs the life of the tool. The wall chaser has electronic protection that turns off the engine in case of mechanical problems in the operation of individual elements. There is also overload control: the carbon brushes shut off automatically if the motor is overheated.
Despite the high (more than 40 thousand rubles) price, the concrete wall chaser is not equipped with a vacuum cleaner with the corresponding functions, it must be purchased separately. The tool has only a branch pipe.
A worthy domestic alternative: the Interskol concrete wall chaser
Interskol is a domestic company. She is engaged in the manufacture and sale of power tools. Constantly increasing production and technically improving the products. The absence of import costs, the presence of a full cycle (purchases of elements from other manufacturers are not carried out) greatly affect the pricing, making the tools available to many consumers.
Interskol wall-sawing machine PD 125 1400E is the best-selling model. This option should be attributed to household tools, but if necessary, it can be used to perform a large amount of work.The power is 1400 W, the maximum number of revolutions is 950 rpm.
The body is made of metal and supplemented with plastic elements. Performance characteristics are standard:
- two cutting discs that can be set at a distance of 3-29 mm;
- cutting depth - 30 mm;
- working circle size - 125 mm;
- the presence of a soft start, protection against accidental switching on and overheating.
A branch pipe is installed as a dust collector. Its diameter (35 mm) corresponds to the standard dimensions of the connecting part of the vacuum cleaners, which must be purchased additionally for this model.
Useful advice! The company "Interskol" also produces vacuum cleaners for wall chasers, so it is better to purchase components from one manufacturer for a power tool. This will ensure an uncomplicated and reliable connection of the elements.
The price of the Interskol PD 125 1400E wall chaser is 6-7 thousand rubles, which makes it affordable for buyers with a low income level.
Bulgarian furrower Sparky FK-6526: operational features of the tool
The Sparky FK-6526 wall chaser is a Bulgarian product. At a fairly affordable price, the tool has excellent technical performance. The model should be attributed to the professional version, since the power is 2.6 kW, and the cutting wheel diameter is 230 mm. The tool penetrates concrete, brick and natural stone with equal ease. Users on social networks note that the device is pleasant to work with, despite its solid weight - 10.4 kg.
This furrower is the most powerful of the Sparky models. It can work continuously for hours. The gearbox is made of magnesia for excellent heat dissipation. Two handles, one of which can be set in different positions, significantly soften the vibration impact.
Sparky FK-6526 is a groove cutter with a vacuum cleaner. This allows you to work in a confined space, practically without experiencing the effects of dust and small particles formed during cutting: they are maximally absorbed by the vacuum cleaner.
The tool is distinguished by reliable protection: the motor has double insulation, a special coating of the armature and a grill prevent dust exposure, the labyrinth protection of the front spindle bearing ensures its safety and stable operation for a long time.
Reasonable price and high quality level: Bosch wall chaser
The manufacturer of Bosh power tools has a fairly large range of wall chasers. Among them are both powerful models and standard household options. The products are distinguished by a high level of quality and, as a result, a long service life.
Particularly popular is the model of the Bosch GNF 35 CA wall chaser-furrow cutter. The device occupies an intermediate position between heavy and light versions. The weight is 4 kg, the power is 1400 W, the number of revolutions is 930 rps. Technical characteristics correspond to semi-professional models, but the tool copes well not only with small work, but also with significant volumes.
It is worth paying attention to the cutting depth: with good power indicators, it is 35 mm. The passage width reaches 39 mm.
The tool is equipped with the most modern protection methods: an electronic system prevents overheating of the engine, turns off the device in case of jamming of individual parts. Thorough dust protection and a dust collector exclude the penetration of small particles into the working mechanisms and ensure their removal to a certain place.
The price level for this type of instrument is average - 19 thousand rubles.
Useful advice! It is better to purchase a diamond disc for concrete also from Bosh for a wall chaser.This will provide a tight tip and good tool performance.
Hilty wall chaser: tool characteristics, reviews
Hilty is a German quality product, a durable and professional tool. The range of wall chasers is represented by a large number of options. Models can be found with cutting depths up to 60 mm and widths up to 55 mm. Hilty's products are very popular. The company is engaged not only in the assembly of tools, but also in the production of spare parts and consumables. The service is excellently organized by this manufacturer. In case of a breakdown, there is no problem of finding the necessary parts.
The HILTI DC SE 20 model is of particular interest. This chaser is equipped with a vacuum cleaner. The price is very high - 121 thousand rubles, but supporters of impeccable quality are ready to pay that kind of money. Users note a high level of ergonomics, which is provided by the shape of the case and the peculiarity of the texture of the external plastic covers of the grip area.
For cutting, 125 mm discs are used, they provide a cutting depth of 40 cm, the maximum take-off between the strips is 45 mm, the rotation speed is 7500 rpm, the weight of the device is 6.9 kg.
Grinder attachments: a variety of tools for angle grinders
Classification by appointment. Cutting, roughing and grinding devices. Wall chaser nozzle. Chainsaw grinder.
For the sake of fairness, it should be noted that the reviews of the stroborez won not only positive ones. In general, there are no complaints about the quality of work, but many consider the high cost to be a payment solely for the brand. They also point out minor, but still disadvantages: the length of the power cable is 5 m. For some, this size is not enough, given the positioning of the model as a professional one.
Making a wall chaser with your own hands from a grinder
The high cost of many models of furrowers has been discussed in the article more than once. One of the ways to save money in cases when the device is needed for occasional work is the ability to independently make a wall chaser from a grinder.
This will require the following materials and tools:
- grinder with a capacity of at least 1.2 kW;
- metal sheet with a thickness of 2 mm or more;
- an iron pipe having an inner diameter of 50 mm;
- castors with a diameter of 30-40 mm;
- metal spacers for fixing the distance between the discs;
- several pieces of pipes of small diameter, nuts, screws.
In the course of work, you will need locksmith tools and welding.
It is worth starting to mount the wall-cutting attachment on the grinder with the drawing.
Useful advice! To create a wall chaser from a grinder with your own hands, it is worth undertaking those who are at a sufficient level in welding.
Then the following actions are performed:
- A sheet of metal is cut out, the plane and cheeks of the protective casing are cut, then the structure is connected by welding.
- The holder is cut out, a clamp with a clamping mechanism is welded to it.
- Plates with holes for mounting wheels are attached to the prepared casing by welding.
- A hole is made for a branch pipe that provides dust extraction.
- On the branch pipe, you need to prepare a place for attaching a handle with a thread corresponding to the size of the thread of the grinder handle.
- A bolt for angle grinder is welded to the casing.
- The tool should be assembled, tested, then disassembled, deburred and painted.
To install two discs, use washers that match the spindle size.
During the test, it is necessary to pay attention to the presence of backlashes - they are unacceptable. In the process of using, such a tool can not only disappoint with uncomfortable and ineffective work, but also cause injury.
Discs for a concrete chaser: types, sizes, application
Discs for chasing chasers must be selected taking into account the dimensions of the tool itself and depending on the required depth of the chase. The main indicators of the size of the circles are the diameter and size of the bore.
There are several size options for chasing saws:
- small diameter - 115-300 mm;
- medium - 350-700 mm;
- large - 800-1600 mm.
The landing holes are generally 22.2 mm, less often 25.4 mm. Indicators should correspond to the size of the stud on which the circles are worn.
The discs are made of durable steel and laser-welded to the outer edge with diamond teeth.
Important! A poor-quality disc reduces the efficiency of the chaser operation much more than other possible design flaws.
The industry produces four types of discs:
- Segmental. Diamond addition in the form of sectors, between them there are grooves for cooling and debris removal.
- Whole. The disc edge is not segmented, and holes are used for cooling.
- On reinforced concrete. The diamond edge is sectorial, the discs are of considerable thickness.
- Turbo-segmented. They have a wavy surface, due to which cooling occurs.
The most popular sizes of discs for concrete wall chasers are 125, 180, 230 mm. Circles of 115 mm are used somewhat less often, and discs of 300 mm or more are intended for machine cutting.
Design features and scope of manual wall chasers
It is not always necessary to gouge hard surfaces. Materials that are very popular in modern construction are aerated concrete and foam concrete. The structures are quite soft, there is no need to use expensive and powerful power tools to work on them. The best wall chaser in such situations in terms of expediency is manual.
The device is inexpensive and easy to use. The tool consists of a metal pipe, an arc welded to it, with the help of which cutting is performed, and two handles. More expensive models have diamond tips on the cutting edge.
Manual furrowers are of two types:
- for work on vertical surfaces;
- for slitting horizontal planes.
There are no fundamental differences between these two types. The pipe is slightly bent and the handles are located. Design features contribute to optimal load distribution during tool operation.
The sequence of work with a manual wall chaser can be as follows:
- It is necessary to apply markings on the surface.
- With your right hand, grip the hold-down handle, with your left hand, the remote handle.
- Bring the cutting element close to the wall and place it tightly.
- Pressing with your right hand, gradually move the wall chaser with your left.
Useful advice! If you have to perform a small amount of work and the purchase is not justified, you can make a manual wall chaser yourself.
Hire of wall chasers as an opportunity to save money without compromising quality
A wall chaser is an expensive device, and it does not always make sense to purchase it. If you need to move an outlet or make repairs in the same room, it's easier to use someone else's tool. When buying your own, there is a possibility that after a few hours of work, the device will be forgotten.
You can borrow a furrower from friends or acquaintances, but it is better to rent one. The reasons for renting are very strong:
- In rental, the condition of the instrument is strictly controlled. You can take a faulty wall chaser from a private person and think for a long time who is the culprit of the breakdown.
- Clearly agreed terms and conditions and a fixed fee give a sense of freedom of use. In other situations, there is always an element of dependence and a need for gratitude.
- Upon receipt of an instrument for rent, a specialist will certainly consult, and the client can clarify all the questions that have arisen and test the device.
The rent depends on the power of the chaser and, as a result, on the size of the cutting elements, that is, the discs. Renting a 125 mm wall chaser will cost from 400 rubles per day. Delivery can be included in the payment, or it can be offered as an additional service.
Stroborez 230 mm will have a rental price 25-30% higher, it will be 600-800 rubles per day.
Important! When renting or renting a power tool, remember that no receipt not certified by the relevant authority is not a document and has no legal force.
Rating of wall chasers for concrete, prices of the best models
Before buying, everyone asks the question which concrete chaser is better. The answer can be found in product descriptions, comments to it, and you can get it in the course of direct communication with users. It is also advisable to familiarize yourself with the information about the rating of the best models, which is compiled on the basis of opinions after the practical use of the tools. The locations of the chasers were distributed as follows.
1. Metabo MFE 6527 is the best concrete chaser. Price - 50 thousand rubles. This single drawback is noted by a number of users. Majority rating - "Bomb!" A powerful professional device in which the width and depth of cut are easily adjusted. Perfect assembly and reliable protection systems allow the tool to carry out its tasks for a long time without problems.
2. Bosch GNF 35 CA. The cost is 19 thousand rubles. Detailed information about the tool is already available in the materials of the article (see "Reasonable price and high performance: Bosch wall chaser"). Complementing the characteristics of the model, it is worth noting the presence of a good ventilation system, which significantly extends the service life of individual elements and the unit as a whole. Significant disadvantages are not highlighted by users.
3. Bosch GNF 20 CA. Price - 30 thousand rubles. The tool is not very powerful, therefore, deep and wide grooves are beyond its power. It is widely used in the manufacture of electrical cable grooves. Conveniently moves on 4 wheels, consumes little electricity, has a low weight, durable. Among the disadvantages, it should be noted the high cost.
4. Makita SG 1250. Price - 25 thousand rubles. The model is professional, has good protection, consisting of a metal casing, double insulation, an electronic control system for the health of elements and the amount of load. The wall chaser is equipped with two handles, one of which can change the angle of inclination. As a disadvantage, users point out the presence of only one roller that facilitates the movement of the body.
5. Caliber Master SHTBE-2600 / 230M. Price - 10 thousand rubles. Quite a heavy unit. Has a magnesium body, moves with rollers. Soft start, protection against overheating, dust - all this is present. The slot width is adjusted by means of washers and can be 9-40 mm. Of the shortcomings, cases of poor-quality assembly can be noted.
The high level of competition is forcing manufacturers to continuously improve the performance of their tools. Therefore, it should be stated that there are no frankly bad models among those presented on the modern market. You just need to choose the right option for the intended method of operation.